Monday, May 6, 2013

Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

Since this is an unofficial book review, I'd be very casual. So yeah, I'm a big fan of this novel. I even watched the stage musical in VIP, bought a phantom mask necklace, and bought the limited edition DVD. I also tried to master playing most of the songs in piano.

Gaston Leroux was known for being a great author in detective fiction. I've been a great fan of his writing style. He knew how to manipulate flashbacks ingested with suspense. I loved the way he combined mystery, love, and fear in this particular novel. Like Shakespeare's work, books like The Phantom of the Opera may be hard for kids to digest. I recommend this book for young adults.

The novel is very much different from its movie/theatre adaptation. The Phantom's life story has been taken fore-granted in movies and musicals. The book is quite brutal and morbid, but it provides more insight on the Phantom's character unlike in movies.

This is a very creative novel...a true original. You can feel the pain of every character given the omniscience in reading.

Here are some of my favorite lines in the novel (condensed version):

" I think she does love him. But the reason I despair is that I'm not sure the man she loves is worthy of her love." (Raoul)

" We'll either leave here together or die together" (Raoul)

"I longed to become someone 'like everyone else'." (Erik, the Phantom)


Book rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment