Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Summer Art Project

A friend once told me, “If you have the talent, let the world see it.” I guess I’ve been pretty shy about what I can do. Aside from playing 5 different instruments (piano, flute, violin, pianica, guitar), I could also express my creativity in visual art. Ever since I was a kid, I loved drawing. I even aspired being an architect someday :| =))

I’ve always kept inside my talents. I was afraid to show my talents...scared of the fact that some people would not appreciate it. I was too anxious that people would criticize me and my works; and that awful feeling that would make me stop doing what I loved to do. But I have grown from my unsubtle judgments; I decided to continue expressing what I feel in words, actions, and art whether people may like it or not. This newly learned freedom of expression boosted my self-esteem. I’m sick of hearing people comment that I have low self-esteem in school :| =))

I have a handful of sketches/ drawings/ art works at home. I’ve tried various forms of drawing (caricatures, comic strips, manga, etc.). Despite the diversity of the art I made, they have one thing in common: all in MONOCHROME.

I’m not fond of using colors. It’s not that I’m not a happy person, but I really don’t like coloring. It’s one of the things I’m not good at. Well, for some reasons I tried coloring, mixing and blending colors...but I only think it destroys my art works.

A friend wrote me a letter, she said that I should try coloring to wash away the monochromatic dullness of my art works. I realized that I should give it a try plus, with a  *game face on* >:D

I got tired of using my favorite 6B pencil and sketch pad, so I decided to digi-drawing for awhile. Here are some of my art works:

I tried scribbling different colored lines to check the perfect pigment blending for my first digi-art. I decided to start with the most basic drawing: a flower. I started drawing random lines with random shades of a specific color. It actually turned out great! Many of my friends appreciated my first work when I uploaded it in Facebook.



I made my mind up that I’d try a rigid type of monochromed art. So then, I made this Grim reaper. This art work wasn’t planned at all. I just started making random triangular figures, and then I found my art progressed into a wonderful geometric-style of drawing.



I made this Justin Bieber cartoon for Pesha (Trisha RDD). She’s a 100% BELIEBER!!! She really wants to watch JB’s concert here in the Philippines but no one wants to go with her =))



I also tried making an EMO GUY drawing. Like my Grim Reaper drawing, this art is also made up of random triangles. I had a hard time working on the eye =)) But all of my effort was worth it! Look, I really did a good job drawing the eye.



I heard some feedbacks from the people I know that my first flower digi-art doesn’t look like a flower =)) So, out of bitterness (just kidding) I decided to make another one. Yes, a rose is my favorite flower =)) I actually like the white ones over the red ones. Here’s a more detailed step when I made this art:

First, I drew a simple rose skeleton. For me, it actually looks better before I colored it :|



Second, I applied correlated hues on the rose.

Third, I blogged the before and after coloring in Tumblr =)) ( this is the crucial step ever)



Fourth, I worshipped the finished product =))))))



Let’s take it to the NEXT LEVEL!!! I also tried 3D drawing. I wanted to make a 3D Excalibur but I only managed to draw a simple sword. Yes, VERY SIMPLE. I practiced my depth perception skills and color shading in this project. It’s not that good yet, but I believed that through constant practice and training...I could also advance in 3D drawing.



P.S. Ang pangit ng pagkakulay ko don sa rose. Obvious na inaantok na ako =))

WRITING, DRAWING, PAINTING, PLAYING INSTRUMENTS, READING BOOKS, TAKING PICTURES...What’s NEXT???  EATING FIRE??? =))

SUMMER is the perfect time to UNLEASH your artistic side! If you have time, please check out the following links for my artworks in various fields:

http://sam917.multiply.com/photos/

2 comments: