Sunday, October 31, 2010

Big BANG 10.10.10


10.10.10. --the promised day for RUN FOR PASIG. As a requirement in our NSTP, we were obliged to attend this event. All Science sophomore students were assigned in the 3k run at MOA. This was a day of energy loss, money collapse, and fatigue. A twist of fate made our Run for Pasig, a Run for our LIVES.

I barely slept before I prepared for the run. I slept at 1:30am and alarmed 3:00am to get ready for the run. We had to go early at MOA because the roads would be block. I texted everyone as soon as I woke up. I was pretty HIGH that morning due to lack of sleep. I wasn't able to eat breakfast so I decided to bring my mini Oreos with me. Issa arrived at Pacific and Maki came a little bit longer. Jr fetched us three and went to Lacson for Faye. As soon as all of us were inside the car, I started eating my mini Oreos (nom...nom...nom...).

We got puzzled along the way looking for "cluster 7." Finally, we saw our other blockmates literally 'clustered' at cluster 7. We took some 'before-run' pictures; warmed and geared up for THE RUN.

INHALE.STUTTER.EXHALE.SWEAT.LAUGHTER.HYPE.PAUSE.RUSH.SPRINT.JOG.RUN.

We enjoyed the run and successfully made it to the finish line. We made it earlier than an hour. During the run, I couldn't feel any exhaustion until we finally paused during the 'after-run' break. Sweat cleansed my body; Oxygen filtered my lungs---I breathed. I could feel an ache in my ankle. I over-exercised my right ankle sprain again...the pain.

We walked another 3k to find an open restaurant so we could eat and change clothes. We decided to eat at Gerry's grill. We ATE and CHILLED, for we were truly battered. After our rest, we decided to go home so we could have an ample of time to rest and review for exams.

We walked another 3k looking for a cab or jeepney so we could go home. We spent 30 minutes or so, feeling desperate and restless to go home. I called Ikee, because our optimism to go home early was greatly lowered by enervation. We couldn't find any transportation because there were too many people, and the public transportation was scarced.

I was ready to swallow my pride for my blockmates so we could safely go home. But in our way to Ikee's van...we saw a jeepney going to the nearest LRT station towards home. I cancelled my arrangements with Ikee and felt happy because I wouldn't swallow my pride. I regretted cancelling the carpool arangements with Ikee because of what happened NEXT.

We arrived at the LRT station. It was too crowded, so we decided to get a taxi instead. We were losing hope in arriving early back to UST since the public transporation were insufficient. We saw a jeepney headed to Dapitan and regained our lost hopes once again. The jeep entered unknown routes to us and we started to worry. There were no other passengers boarding the jeep. Several men were inside with us that seems to know each other. They were even acquainted with the driver, that freaked us out. We started whispering to each other, telling to hold on to our belongings and never bring out anything that could trigger their interest in us. The men were laughing; we were frantic. We decided to get out of the jeep. But when Maki said "para po", the driver ignored him and still went on. Maki repeated it for several times, but the jeepney wasn't stoping. Gladly, there was a stoplight at the intersection. The jeepney stopped, a time to escape from the grotesque abomination we were in.

The events were fast; but our hearts were at pause--we breathed. Luckily, we found another jeep. This time, it was safe. The jeepney went to a damp market place that consumed a lot of time getting us out of there. We were totally exhausted. It was frustrating to know that the jeep only circled the place and brought us back to the LRT station.

Finally, we arrived at UST. Battered we were, but we manage to still smile for we were SAFE.

Indeed, this would be a day I would never forget to remember.

A run for benevolence; a run from malevolence.

-S.Reyes

1 comment: